Full Job Description
We are looking for a person who can help us streamline the day-to-day laboratory and office activities at Halion. This role might be a fit for you if you:
- Thrive when working in a small, fast-paced team, facilitating the work of scientists and engineers
- Are detail oriented, adept at managing your time, and are highly organized
- Care deeply about workplace safety
- Are willing to dive deep into unfamiliar topics when needed
- Are able to take a step back and manage a wide variety of tasks across different responsibilities
- Communicate well with others, especially research scientists, engineers and specialists across different disciplines
- Are a self starter who can take initiative and find out how best to be helpful
- Feel comfortable working through problems and figuring things out with minimal supervision
We’re a startup, so we’re pretty relaxed about working hours, dress code, etc. We are looking for good people, not just good experience! If your skills roughly align with what we’ve listed below, and you like the cut of our jib, give it a shot.
$50,000 – $60,000
- Employee benefits program (dental, vision, prescriptions, etc.)
- Free coffee!
- Flexible work hours
- Ensuring the safe and smooth operation of the office space, as well as the wet chemical laboratory and assembly spaces
- Establish, maintain and continuously improve processes and systems to optimize the efficiency and effectiveness of the office and lab
- Doing periodic inspections of the lab and assembly environments to identify potential safety or cleanliness issues
- Helping to run and document the Joint Health and Safety Committee meetings
- Running lab orientation and safety orientation for new employees
- Writing SOPs for new equipment
- Creating, updating, and maintaining an inventory management system (IMS)
- Making and tracking day-to-day purchases, so that everyone has the tools and materials needed to carry out their work and research
- Doing research into larger purchases upon request to find the best alternatives
- Manage, record and prioritize incoming mail and deliveries, and ensure they are actioned promptly and appropriately
- Receiving invoices and packing slips and ensuring they are matched with invoices and checked and coded by department heads
- Interfacing with suppliers, lessors and shippers as needed to ensure fast and successful deliveries, equipment maintenance, or repairs
- Writing chemical waste reports and coordinating pickups
- Ensuring that recurring team tasks are completed at the appropriate times
- Coordinate and prepare for team events and meetings or meetings with external people, including agenda development, preparing meeting materials, room set-up and food ordering if required
- Help out with R&D projects from time to time as needed
- Able to legally work in Canada
- BSc or college diploma with experience working in either a chemical laboratory environment, or an industrial production environment
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills are required
- Ability to manage multiple projects and changing priorities, make sound decisions under pressure, and work effectively in a team environment
- Organization skills and the ability to use project management tools
- Ability to rapidly learn new systems and procedures
- Experience working with an ERP system or IMS
- Experience with making purchase orders, handling invoices, and negotiating purchases
- Personal projects of any flavour which you work on under your own initiative
- Comfortable with repairs and maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Comfortable working around chemistry and electronics
- Proficient with word processing and spreadsheets and all that other good stuff
Instructions to apply:
Do you want to be the very best [candidate], like no-one ever was? If so, please demonstrate the following in your cover letter and resume:
- You have a bias for action (but you think before you act).
- You enjoy working on personal projects not related to work (but you know how to manage your priorities).
- You thrive in ambiguous environments, but know how to make order out of chaos.
- You like technology – past, present and future.
- You love learning new things, do so quickly, and can easily connect concepts from different fields.
- You will use the word soliloquy as naturally as possible in your application, so I know that you read this.
- You are constantly working to experiment on and improve yourself, because nobody is perfect.
- An enjoyment of Star Wars is an asset. Bonus points if you can make a good Wookiee sound.
Our interview process will include up to 1 phone screen, 3 interviews, a short take-home assignment, and reference checks where applicable.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $50,000.00-$60,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Commuter benefits
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Stock options
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Guelph, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (preferred
- laboratory or industrial environment: 1 year (preferred)
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.